The Ministry of Sports was established by extra ordinary Gazette of Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka No. 1651/20 dated 30th April 2010….
The Ministry has decentralized its responsibilities into several sections targeting smooth implementation and better performance….
In Sri Lanka first time, sport was identified as a subject under the Ministry of Nationalized Services in 1966….
The Ministry of Sports was established by extra ordinary Gazette of Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka No. 1651/20 dated 30th April 2010. Accordingly, the functions of the Ministry of Sports are as follows.
- Formulation of policies, plans and programmes of sports in respect of the National Policies of the Government
- Direction of the implementation of such policies, plans and programmes of sports with a view to achiving the relevant objectives within times lines agreed with the National Planning Authorities and within budget resources.
- Encouraging of sports
- Development of sports facilities
- Enhancement of Sports Education.
Several institutions have been established under the Ministry of Sports in order to accomplish the above tasks.
Department of Sports Development
Institution of Sports Medicine
National Istitute of Sports Science
Sugathadasa National Sports Complex Authority
Until 1948, a sport was used only for the enjoyment of imperialists and they had formed sports clubs for their own use and public funds were spent for their development. Similarly, there were informal sports in villages but they enjoyed neither recognition nor did they flow down to the lower levels. About two decades after the independence, sport was recognized as a field of human interest which could lead to international recognition. Accordingly for the first time, sport was identified as a subject under the Ministry of Nationalized Services in 1966. Similarly the sports division, which was established at the Secretariat building in Fort was shifted to the office of the Sports Development Department at Torrington on 5th January 1966. The government of the day having realized that sports should be started at the school level, recruited 150 Health Education Instructors through the Department of Education and were attached to schools at Assistance Government Agent Division levels. Accordingly, Hon. V.A.Sugathadasa who was the first Sports Minister showed the contribution of sports for the protection of health by supplying sports equipment and infrastructure facilities.
Sports in Sri Lanka started in this manner has become a strong media today, capable of taking the name of Sri Lanka to the international arena by the committed sports men and women of Sri Lanka. In order to shoulder this responsibility, 53 sports associations have been registered under the Department of Sports Development in addition to line institutes established under the Ministry of Sports.
Sri Lanka to be one of the strongest nations in the region
To be a proved nation through the Sports for a healthy, disciplined, united & prosperous society
- To make Sport and integral part of Sri Lankan Culture and Society.
- To utilize the Sports to improve health and physical well being and enhancing the living conditions of all Sri lanka.
- To provide knowledge ,space and opportunities to everyone to participate in sports.
- To provide resources and infrastructure facilities required to develop sports as a whole.
- To assist all Sri Lanka to rise to the highest level in sports and converting Sri Lanka to substantial status reflecting clearly the image gained by it internationally as a successful nation endowed with skills in sports.
- To improve the sports industry in Sri Lanka and develop the economy providing new job opportunities.
- To use the sports as a major foreign exchange earing field in Sri Lanka